Friday, August 17, 2007

Still in the US, still in the US, still in the USSA

Those old enough to remember such things will be able to deduce from from the title of this entry that I've been listening to Beatles albums lately.

I'm still in Michigan. I was to have left for Senegal on Tuesday Aug 7. Visa problems (long story) prevented my boarding the plane. After several phone calls to Dakar and several days of work by an Air France representative, we got things worked out, and my departure was rescheduled for Sunday, Aug 12, but...that afternoon, my brother came home from exercising with symptoms that sounded ominously similar to ones I had 22 months ago. I called 911, and he was rushed to the hospital, treated in transit for, yes, a heart attack.

He's back home now, doing well. He received excellent treatment, delivered cheerfully and professionally by University of Michigan Health System staff, and was himself a model patient. His prognosis is very good. Family, neighbors and other friends have been very supportive (both to him and to me). And, despite some frustration at being denied entrance to my first plane, I'm grateful I was still here 5 days later to recognize the symptoms, and I'm grateful it was a "minor" heart attack.

I am now scheduled to return to Dakar tomorrow (Friday the 17th), leaving him in the good hands of his daughter, who came from out of state, and other relatives and friends in the area.

When I arrive in Senegal Saturday evening, I will have missed the first two days of school, two days of annual orientation, and several days of last-minute prep. Fortunately, I often teach best when I'm improvising. I'm not looking foward to the heat and humidity, but hope it will help me lose some of the 30 lbs I've gained in the past 9 months!

I do look forward to using this blog to keep family and friends updated more often than I have in the past. Suggestions are welcome. (Yes, I know, add more photos. I'll work on that once I get settled in again in Dakar.)