Sunday, November 25, 2007

Post of a Thanksgiving Past

A friend emailed me this photo (copyright status unknown). It seems a fitting accompaniment to the following story.

My best--and favorite--college professor was my choral director. An excellent teacher and a skilled conductor, Dr. Marsh provided us with practical wisdom gained from years in the classroom; he was emminently approachable, and had an excellent sense of humor.

He was also my advisor. One day, I stopped him in the hall and asked to set up an appointment with him. We settled on 10 am the following Thursday as a time amenable to us both.

When we passed each other in the hall again later, Dr. Marsh stopped me and said, "Jay, I realized after we talked that next Thursday is Thanksgiving; I can't meet with you then."

"Hmph!" I exclaimed with feigned indignation, "I see where your priorities lie!"

"Well," he replied without skipping a beat, "it was a choice of one turkey or another."