Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Bird in the Bush

Last Sunday, I spent an exceedingly pleasant afternoon with a group of old and new friends (not counting the birds) at a nearby technology park / golf course / nature preserve. A golfer leaving the park saw us carting binoculars and cameras, and alerted us to the presence of flamingos in a distant corner of the golf course. By the time we got there, the flamingos had left, but just learning about this secluded and pretty part of the park--with open water, brushy trees, and open fields attracting a terrific mix of birds--was worth the trip.

This was also a "get back on the horse" experience for me. I've barely touched my camera since losing literally thousands of photos last spring (see my September 8, 2007 post). Though I didn't take my long zoom and tripod with me, I'm still happy to have begun replenishing my photo collection with this plain but clear shot of a red-billed hornbill. The hornbill, which also comes in a gray-billed variety, is an active, noisy bird with amusing flight patterns. It is perhaps 2 feet long from tip of its bill to the end of its long tail.