Saturday, December 29, 2007

On the 12th Day of (my) Christmas

WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 26

This, my last full day in Guinea, was one of my favorites. As always, it was beautiful--sunny and warm (OK, a little too warm, or, at least, too humid for my taste). And I did all of the things I liked to do--traveled, visited with friends, watched a family have fun together, took pictures, and played music. Only the beautiful mountain countryside was missing.
The travel was merely across town to visit two of my students and their family. This was great fun. They are a bright, lively (especially two younger siblings, who, I was duly warned, may become my students in the near future), and interesting to talk to. They are hospitable, and served me a delicious meal of beef and chicken brochettes (shish kabob) and wonderful chocolate-filled cream puffs. We discussed Guinean history and current conditions (they've been without city power for a month now) and school and books and movies.
On the way to and from lunch, I took numerous photos. I've been surprised at the wide variety of sizes, shapes, and colors of moquest in West Africa, so I've begun documenting that variety. Check back for a separate page of pictures at a later date.
When I returned to Jim and Becky's, they played outside with the kids, chasing and screaming and laughing.
As night fell, I sang and played music with a young Guinean musician who has come to Conakry to attend a University. Only 23 years old, he's written many songs about life in Africa: "Cease Crying" and "Stop Playing with Fire" were among those he sang for me. He accompanied himself on a hand-made gongoma [GOHng-go-mah], a simple instrument made from a calabash, a piece of wood, and three broken pieces of a hack-saw blade. He taps the wood with his left hand and plucks the sawblades with his right as he sings.
We recorded some of his songs, and he insisted I join him on the choruses of one. So, I now own what may become highly-sought-after, seminal recordings of West Africa's next singing sensation. And who will guess that it's an old toubob (white guy) singing along with him?